After a six-week refurbishment by 180 talented tradespeople in Cadiz, Spain, marine refurbishment specialist Trimline transformed areas of the Splendour of the Seas, a 1995-built, 866ft cruise liner into Marella Discovery, easily the largest ship in Marella (formally Thomson Cruises) fleet and one of Trimline’s significant projects of the year.
Marella Discovery is a new type of ship for Marella with a stronger focus on high specification luxury and elegance on board. There is a contemporary, airy feel throughout, most notably in the Live Room entertainment space on Deck 4, Trimline’s feature refurbishment.
Andrew Richards, Trimline’s CEO, said, “When we began discussions with Thomson about TUI Discovery, it was clear Trimline were well-equipped to embark on this major refurbishment for this world-renowned customer. Our rich heritage has earned us the unique adeptness at finding innovative solutions to any refurbishment challenge, which has proven invaluable in this project.”
To ensure the success of this major project, Trimline drew on their wealth of experience acquired across 51 years of large-scale ship refurbishments. Crucially, the company completed the extensive refurbishment within the six-week timescale, in order to meet the customer’s in service date.
The Trimline team overcame logistical challenges throughout the duration of the project by calling on their expertise to craft bespoke solutions for every phase, from design to procurement to finalisation. The collaborative approach of all team members involved throughout this project made it the success it was.
Trimline completed the following key elements of the refurbishment to the company’s renowned high standard:
• Cabins. Through strong project management, Trimline refurbished all 915 cabins, reupholstering the furniture and installing new carpets in many of them, as well as replacing bathroom mirrors and shower curtains. Trimline replaced 2,500 headboards, added 2,696 scatter cushions. 1,100 pairs of face and sheer curtains and almost 4,000 metres of wood trim.
• Live Room on Deck 4. Trimline transformed this room, which was previously split into two parts, into an open space and the ship’s focal hub. The team refurbed the near empty shell with new bulkheads, deck heads, raised deck and stage areas, and a custom built bar. The company’s bespoke solutions included fitting an acoustic ‘floating’ deck and installing sound dampening to reduce noise levels to cabins situated directly below. The final feature was a grand piano on a raised drinks area, painted yellow with a high gloss finish. Trimline fitted contemporary laminate pink and blue design bulkheads with feature ceiling discs and LED lighting, including a programmable system for dimming and changeable colours to suit the requirements of the onboard entertainers.
• Venue. By adding a new DJ booth, poseur tables, drinks ledges, new bulkheads and freshly upholstered furniture, Trimline converted Venue into a relaxed entertainment and seating area, providing a custom solution to match the new material finishes with the existing brass columns and handrails.
• 47˚ and Gallery 47˚. Trimline realised the full potential of this two-tiered restaurant and dining room, turning it into a stylish and airy space and making the most of the floor to ceiling windows on either side. They achieved this by removing the Asian-themed décor – including a six-metre high pagoda – fitting new lights, carpets, wall coverings and table tops, and reupholstering the dining chairs. The team also installed glass screens and a polished stainless steel surround for the waiter stations.
• Custom bulkheads.
• DJ booth in Bar Eleven fitted.
• Outside stage on Deck 9 installed.
• Alleyways recarpeted throughout the ship.
Adrian Hibbert, Marella Cruises’ Director of Operations said “TUI Discovery marks a step change for Marella Cruises, building a product that offers our customers more dining, entertainment and cabin choice. To deliver our vision we embarked on a major refurbishment project and had confidence Trimline could deliver on time and budget and, most importantly, exceeded the expectations of our customers.”